Nature of the Course
The USPA AFF Instructor Rating Course is the most challenging course of all the instructor rating courses. For many skydivers, working as an AFF Instructor seems to be one of the most popular and rewarding professions in the industry. As an AFF Instructor, the ability to introduce and teach beginning skydivers the basics of this sport that we all love, whilst watching the enthusiasm of our students grow, is the one of the greatest experiences we can encounter as an instructor.
Our AFF Instructor Rating Course includes the AFF Pre-Course training at no additional fee. The AFF Pre-Course outline consists of 7 practical training jumps that are designed to prepare Candidates to be successful on their 3 in-air evaluation jumps. During the AFF Pre-Course, Candidates receive coaching on very specific in-air skills. The training starts out simple, but gradually becomes more challenging until you are adequately prepared to successfully complete the actual AFF in-air evaluation jumps.
This course builds upon the core foundation of the USPA Coach Rating Course. We teach you the skills you need to pass the AFF Instructor Course whilst giving you all the necessary tools required to be able to confidently train your future students.
This course typically takes 5-6 days to complete, depending on the number of candidates and weather restraints.
A Candidate may sign up for the USPA AFF Instructor Course if they have met the following requirements:
- Holds a Coach or any other current USPA Instructor Rating.
- Holds a USPA C License.
- Has logged 6 hours of freefall time.
- Has held a USPA Coach Rating for 1 year OR has logged 500 jumps.
Prior To The Course
To prepare for the course, each Candidate must have:
- A current copy (no older than 2 years) of the USPA SIM and IRM, which can either be purchased here or downloaded here.
- Completed the open book USPA General Instructor Exam (questions 1-25) as well as the USPA AFF Instructor Exam (questions 26-40), which are located in the back of the the IRM.
- Filled in the AFF Instructor Proficiency Card (info & prerequisites), which is located in the back of the IRM or can be downloaded here.
- Studied the AFF Instructor section of the IRM.
- Studied Categories A-H of the SIM.
During the Course
The candidate will be evaluated on their abilities to:
- Teach, supervise and debrief in all subject areas and sub areas shown on the AFF Ground Training, Supervision and Debriefing Evaluation Form (can be found in the back of the IRM).
- Competently gear up and check a student.
- Satisfactorily complete one full Category C and one full Category D ground prep.
- Stabilize an inverted student, stop a spin and deploy for a student on a practice release jumps.
- Satisfactorily complete 3 In-Air Evaluations (Category C main side, Category C reserve side, Category D).
USPA AFF Proficiency Card
On the USPA AFF Instructor Proficiency Card, you will need to have these prerequisites signed off prior to the course by an appropriately rated instructor:
- Assisted in 2 AFF first jump courses.
- Assisted in 2 Category C and 2 Category D ground preps.
- Observed all ground preps for Categories A-E.
- * Correctly taught freefall stability and basic freefall maneuvers,
including freefall turns, backloops, barrel rolls, front loops, and tracking.
- * Prepared an effective canopy flight plan and provided ground-to-air instruction.
- * Participated in the spotting and aircraft lessons from Categories D-H.
- * Made 10 (coach) jumps to teach and observe basic group freefall skills.
*Note – all parts marked with an “*” are void if Candidate is already a USPA Instructor (tandem or AID/Static Line).
Candidates should arrive to the course with all the above listed documents in hand. The course will start at 09:00 on the first day with verification of requirements.
During the course, eah candidate must earn a score of “satisfactory” on the teaching sections and the in-air evaluation jumps. As well, a minimum score of 80% is required on the written exams.
Have a look at our Calendar for scheduled courses or take a look at our Facebook page for course events.
To sign up for a course, please register using our Course Registration Form. Upon registration, we request a non-refundable deposit of €250 to secure your space. The remainder of the course fee will be paid on the morning of the first day of the course. To see our prices, please view our Pricing page.
Please feel free to contact us! We are happy to answer any questions you may have and/or to set up a course of your own!Contact Us